A dry, itchy throat is an extremely uncomfortable feeling. Sometimes, it feels like the itchiness will never go away. Unfortunately, many people experience dry throat multiple ties during this time of year. Dry throat often occurs due to the drying out of mucous membranes caused by air temperature and common viral infections like the flu or colds.
If you have a dry throat, pay attention to your symptoms to determine the cause. You might be searching all over the internet for a natural remedy to heal dry throat. Luckily, we at Teramune can share a variety of causes and holistic treatments to cure the itchiness and uncomfortable feeling of a dry throat.
Causes of Dry Throat
- Dehydration. Are you drinking enough water throughout the day? Dehydration causes a lower production of saliva. Saliva is what you need to keep your mouth and throat moisturized. It is vital to stay hydrated to avoid fatigue, dizziness, and dry mouth.
- Seasonal Allergies. Your immune system can react to irritants in the environment, which may cause dry throat, coughing, sneezing, and or itchy eyes. When your immune system senses one of these triggers, it releases chemicals called histamines. Common allergy triggers include pet dander, pollen, and dust.
- Common Cold. The common cold is an infection that’s caused by several viruses, making your throat feel dry and itchy.
- Acid Reflux. A dry throat may be a symptom of acid reflux. Stomach acid can travel to your throat and cause burning, dry throat, dry cough, and a hoarse voice.
How to Cure a Dry Throat
1. Do a Saltwater Rinse
An easy way to relieve throat dryness is by gargling salt water. Add a ½ of a teaspoon of natural salt to an 8-ounce glass of warm water. Gargle for about one minute up to two times daily, and remember to spit out when finished. The salt in the water cleanses and draws moisture from bacteria and tissue in the throat.
2. Drink Warm Liquids
Warm liquids like broth and hot tea can help soothe your throat. If you’re thinking about drinking hot tea, mixing honey into your drink is a great way to eliminate itchiness. Honey is antibacterial and is commonly used to soothe a dry and sore throat. Honey provides much-needed relief for your itchy or dry throat.
3. Use a Humidifier
A humidifier can get rid of the environmental factors that cause a dry throat. Indoor heaters can dry out the air in your bedroom or workspace. Use a humidifier at night to add moisture in the air to improve the air quality around you. Humidifiers promote easy breathing and helps keep your throat moisturized.
4. Try Teramune Essential Oils
Essential oils have been used for centuries as a form of organic medicine. Teramune’s Cough & Throat has a blend of organic essential oils that can soothe your upper respiratory pathways.
While there are many essential oil benefits, our products serve as a holistic treatment to alleviate coughs, dry throats, and hoarseness. Purchase our all-natural cough medicine today!