When you understand the importance of a strong immune system and what can weaken it (such as stress, fever, poor nutrition, antibiotics, allergies, and other factors), the question is what can we do to strengthen it? One of the obvious ways to boost your immune system is the right nutrition. However, the current eating pattern of the majority of Americans is not aligned with dietary guidelines. That’s when the supplements come into the picture.
Before we get into the best supplements to boost the immune system, let’s first understand how supplements help enhance immunity.
Can Supplements Help Boost Your Immune System?
Let’s be real. Supplements are not supposed to replace the right nutrition, nor are they the magic pills that will make your immune system be so strong that you’ll never get sick again.
When we talk about boosting your immune system, we mean helping your immune system be the healthiest and strongest it can so it can do its job when facing an infection. The reality is that the majority of Americans do not practice proper nutrition. Reports from current dietary guidelines indicate:
- About 75% of the population has a diet low in vegetables, fruits, dairy, and oils.
- Over 50% of the population is exceeding the recommended amount of grain and protein intake, while not meeting the recommendations within these subgroups.
- Most Americans consume more than the recommended daily intake of added sugars, sodium, and saturated fats.
The deficiencies caused by poor nutrition will deplete your immune system of its strength and ability to fight infections. So can supplements improve your immune system? The best first step is to change your dietary habits, though this is a challenging task that most people struggle with.
The right nutrition is the long-term solution to strengthen your immune system, but in the meantime, there are supplements to boost the immune system to be stronger and healthier, ensure daily support of nutrients, and take care of any deficiencies while you tackle the dietary changes we all need to make to be healthy.
Best Supplements for the Immune System
Before exhausting this list of the best supplements for immune system support, we recommend that you consult your regular doctor and do a blood test to understand where your deficiency levels are. It’s always helpful to understand your body and how you can help it function at its best. The more information you have on your body, the better you will be able to adjust and provide what it needs to be strong.
Here are our top supplements to boost the immune system.
Teramune is a proprietary blend to use immediately when you feel the symptoms of a cold coming on, or if people around you are sick. Dosages vary depending on if you have the symptoms or if you want to protect and boost your immune system. One of our current products is undergoing a clinical trial, and the preliminary results show that nearly all the patients have experienced relief from their symptoms. We look forward to providing you with the FDA-approved results and information in Fall 2020.
Certain foods such as whole grains and dairy products are rich in selenium, which can significantly increase immune responses. Selenium has antioxidant properties to protect against cell damage, which can help prevent cancer and heart disease and supports thyroid health.
Elderberry is a dark purple berry that grows on the European elder tree and is one of the best herbal supplements for the immune system. The berries have long been used for their medicinal properties in fighting infections. It has been shown to relieve the symptoms of viral infections, shorten the length and severity of a cold, and it may help reduce inflammation.
4. Vitamin C, D, and E
Vitamin D supports healthy immune system function by protecting against respiratory infection and reducing inflammation. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that supports healthy vision, skin, brain, and reproduction. Vitamin C is another antioxidant and is well-known to prevent scurvy, shorten the duration of a cold, and help the immune system function better.
Zinc is an important mineral the body uses in many ways. It helps keep your immune system strong, helps wounds heal faster, and supports healthy development. As such, it is often used to treat the common cold. Some studies have found that zinc lozenges can shorten a cold as much as one day and that it helps children experience fewer respiratory infections.
Cinnamon has been used as a staple ingredient since the time of Ancient Egypt. While it certainly tastes good, the benefits don’t stop there. Cinnamon oil has proven effective in respiratory tract infections and it fights inflammation, lowers blood sugar, and is packed with cancer-fighting antioxidants.
Garlic contains allicin, a strong antibiotic that is released when the cloves are crushed or chewed. Garlic has been used for its antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. It helps lower cholesterol and may help the body fight off viruses and infections, build strength, combat Alzheimer’s and Dementia, and have laxative effects.
Probiotics aren’t just good for your gut, they're good for your entire immune system, too. Probiotics work to balance the good bacteria in your gut and fight off the harmful ones. This gut-immune connection helps support immune cell function and thus has the potential to help fight autoimmune-related diseases such as eczema, allergies, and viral infections.
A Lifelong Pattern for Wellness
When it comes to boosting the immune system, supplements aren’t everything. What’s important to remember is that supplements are not magic pills you can take that will make your immune system a superhero. In the end, supplements should only be part of an overall health plan, including other lifestyle habits:
- Proper diet: As explained in our blog on the connection between diet and the immune system, as well as the gut and the immune system, a proper diet is essential to a healthy immune system.
- Exercise: Even if it’s just walking around 30 minutes a day*, getting active will ensure your body works properly. Like a car, you need to run it so it keeps functioning properly. Check out our blog on the connection between exercise and the immune system.
- Adequate sleep: Make sure that your body has the time to recuperate from the day. Think of your body as a machine. It needs to cool down to maintain the best productivity.
- Essential oils: We believe in the power of our essential oil blends that are specific to the infection seasons. Depending on the oils, they can provide support in stress, anxiety, respiratory issues, etc. Check out our essential oil blogs to learn the many ways they can help your body’s functions.
- Being happy: Although this is a simple concept, it can be challenging as life gets busy and stress takes over our emotions. Taking the time for yourself, having fun, and laughing is important to your overall well-being. Your mindset is an important tool that can make a difference (check our blog on mindfulness and the immune system).
Everyone has unique health and dietary needs based on their individual genetics and environment, including current lifestyle habits. Start simple, be aware of your body, and do your own research. You can adjust along the way until you find the foods and supplements that best suit you and your lifestyle and make you feel great.
Boost Your Immune System with Teramune
If you’re ready to give your body the best supplements to boost your immune system, the place to start is Teramune. Our edible essential oils are certified organic and formulated with natural herbal remedies. To learn more about our holistic approach, and how to use our supplements, contact us today.
- Reference pages
- 32Trusted Source,33Trusted Source